Director of Marketing, Experience and Engagement
Company: American Physical Society
Location: Stony Brook
Posted on: September 20, 2023
American Physical SocietyID: 1340Location: RemoteDepartment:
Director of Marketing, Experience and Engagement
Who we are:
The American Physical Society (APS) is a nonprofit membership
organization working to advance and diffuse the knowledge of
physics through its outstanding research journals, scientific
meetings, and education, outreach, advocacy, and international
activities. APS represents more than 50,000 members, including
physicists in academia, national laboratories, and industry in the
United States and throughout the world.
Are you a visionary servant leader passionate about leveraging
data-driven strategies to enhance marketing ROI? Do you excel in
creating innovative processes for synthesizing data and defining
value propositions? Are you ready to shape the future of physics
research and education while driving revenue growth? If so, we
invite you to join our dynamic team as the Director of Marketing,
Experience and Engagement at the American Physical Society (APS)
reporting to the Chief Experience and Engagement Officer (CXO). As
the Director of Marketing, Experience and Engagement, your mission
will be to oversee and implement data-driven strategies that
increase the ROI of our marketing efforts across multiple channels.
You will be responsible for setting campaign goals, guiding
messaging and creative assets, optimizing resource allocation, and
developing and monitoring Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) to
measure success. Additionally, you will collaborate with all APS
departments and stakeholders to drive revenue and growth, analyze
market trends to support APS's mission and build and maintain a
robust marketing operations process. Join us on our mission to
advance physics research and education, engage with a vibrant
community of physicists, and shape the future of science. Apply
today to become our Director of Marketing, Experience and
Engagement, and be part of something extraordinary.
APS has a "remote first" concept that promotes equal treatment and
equal access within the United States, independent of physical work
location, with a majority of staff working primarily from remote
work locations. APS values diversity and welcomes candidates from a
variety of backgrounds. APS offers a dynamic work environment with
an outstanding total compensation package, including salary,
outstanding benefits, and excellent paid time off.
- Your primary focus will be to amplify the reach and impact of
the APS's programs and publications, attract members, and utilize
our brand to showcase the importance of physics research and
education to policy leaders and the wider public.
- Lead the development and implementation of data-driven
strategies to increase the ROI of marketing initiatives across
multiple channels for each portfolio. This includes setting
campaign goals, overseeing messaging and creative assets,
allocating resources efficiently and effectively, and developing
and tracking KPIs to measure success.
- Create a process to synthesize and analyze member data from
multiple systems and define the value proposition for each segment
of our membership. Map out data-driven, integrated marketing
strategies (persona and customer journey mapping, segmentation,
etc.) to inspire members to engage with APS in multiple ways.
- Work with the Publications department to develop an author
centric and B2B and B2C marketing strategy for journals and
research to capitalize on our most significant revenue area,
explore potential opportunities to monetize content, and attract
up-and-coming physicists to publish with APS and develop lifelong
- Develop strategic marketing plans to support APS's mission,
goals, and objectives, including positioning, and market and
competitive analysis. Analyze marketing performance data to
optimize future initiatives.
- Implement the strategy and direction for managing competing
interests that impact department resources. Develop metrics to
identify where we are having the greatest impact and realign staff
priorities as appropriate.
- Build and sustain a marketing operations process, including
people, tools, and resources. Develop and maintain the marketing
- Optimize the marketing and communications calendar, evaluating
the frequency and cadence of member messaging, media mix, audience
- Collaborate with other departments including publications,
meetings, programs, membership, and advocacy and fundraising teams
to ensure marketing initiatives are aligned with APS's overall
mission and goals.
- Work closely with leadership across the organization to
identify opportunities to elevate APS's value proposition for
current and future members, key stakeholder, and partners.
- Lead a team that owns the strategic marketing of APS's products
and services across three key portfolios: membership and
initiatives, meetings and events, and research and journals.
- Motivate, lead, and guide a team of talented staff members,
including team leaders, creating internal systems to reduce
redundancy and build capacity while keeping teams focused on
- Guide staff in operationalizing the strategy to inspire actions
among APS's key audiences (members, future members in the physics
community, policymakers, the media, and the public).
- Develop and implement a performance management strategy based
on defined KPIs. Evaluate staff to determine strengths and areas
for growth and develop processes to support their development.
Reinforce APS's culture of continuous improvement and learning.
- Nurture leadership skills throughout the department; providing
training and guidance to develop communication, decision-making,
and conflict resolution skills for team leaders and giving staff
opportunities to take on leadership roles.
Education: Bachelor's degree in marketing or a related discipline
required. A master's degree in a related field and or User
Experience (UX) experience is preferred.
Experience, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Minimum of 10 years of progressive leadership experience
overseeing marketing, communications, publications, and/or
membership, ideally with experience in an association or nonprofit
- Minimum of 10 years of staff management experience.
- Minimum of 5 years' experience managing digital marketing
programs and User Experience (UX) experience.
- Advanced business acumen with the proven ability to develop and
translate business strategy into action.
- A demonstrable track record of innovation in collaboration with
3rd parties and vendors.
- Digital marketing experience across a variety of channels and
experience optimizing content creation for digital
- Knowledge of the academic publishing landscape, including
trends in open access and open science as well as other forces
shaping the industry is preferred.
- Cultural and market awareness to effectively support journal
- Ability to define strategic opportunities and successfully
articulate and execute plans to address them.
- Ability to quickly build strong relationships with internal and
external colleagues and stakeholders.
- Proficiency with CRM systems (Salesforce experience preferred)
and other relevant business systems, data, and tools.
- Self-motivated, with a strong drive for results.
- Ability to make timely, quality decisions.
- Ability to work well both independently as well as
collaboratively with interdepartmental teams and external
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently from a remote
location or while traveling.
- Strong written and oral communication skills and ability to
utilize digital technology to collaborate with internal and
external stakeholders effectively.
The Director of Marketing, Experience and Engagement role is
remote-first - working primarily from home and other locations,
rather than from a specific APS office. Primary residence/location
within the United States is required.
Occasional travel is required to visit client sites, attend
publishing and marketing events, visit the APS offices located in
Hauppauge, NY, College Park, MD and the Washington DC metro area,
and attend other periodic meetings, training, and strategy sessions
at other locations. Additional travel as assigned.
The salary range for this role considers the factors that are
considered in making compensation decisions, including but not
limited to skill sets, experience and training, and other business
and organizational needs. APS's Compensation Philosophy is to
manage salaries at the midpoint of the market. Therefore, it is the
practice to hire within the entry - midpoint range.
Full Range: $144,000k/year - $216,000k/year (USD)
Target Range: $144,000k/year - $180,000k/year (USD)
This is Us:
Help us achieve our mission of advancing and diffusing the
knowledge of physics for the benefit of humanity, promote physics,
and serve the broader physics community.
At APS, we:
- Provide a welcoming and supportive professional home for an
active, engaged, and diverse membership
- Advance scientific discovery and research
- Advocate for physics and physicists, and amplify the voice for
- Share the excitement of physics and communicate the essential
role physics plays in the modern world
- Promote effective physics education for all
Core values are essential to shaping the culture of an
organization. They provide the structure and guidance for how we
conduct ourselves in our day-to-day interactions. Every employee
has a responsibility for upholding these values. The behaviors and
actions associated with demonstrating competency in these Core
Values are described in a separate document.
Our Core Values:
- The Scientific Method
- Truth and Integrity
- Diversity, Inclusion, and Respect
- Partnering, Cooperation, and Open Collaboration
- Speaking Out
- Education and Learning
Amazing 2023 Benefit Offerings:
- Flexible schedules and ability to work remotely
- 8% employer-paid retirement contribution
- Investment advisement services: 100% employer paid
- Medical benefits: PPO or HDHP option
- Employer contribution to FSA or HSA account, eligibility based
on medical plan enrollment
- Lifestyle Spending benefit up to $2000.00 (USD) - 100% employer
- Dental benefits: individual coverage 100% employer
- Vision benefits: individual and dependent coverage 100%
- Basic Life & Accident insurance: employee coverage 100%
- Supplemental Life & Accident insurance, including spouse &
dependent child(ren) coverage
- Disability insurance: employee coverage 100% employer
- Voluntary Accident & Critical Illness insurance
- Healthcare, Commuter & Dependent care flexible spending
- Vacation: 15 days annually
- Generous holiday leave: 17 paid days of significance; includes
one week closure at the end of December
- Personal leave: 4 days annually
- Volunteer leave: 1 day annually
- Sick leave: 10 days annually
- Bereavement & Compassion leave: 2 -15 days based on
- 12 weeks employer-paid family leave
- College tuition reimbursement plan
- Job related seminar & continuing education
- Professional Certification/Recertification 100% employer
- Training and professional development; access to LinkedIn
Learning on-demand courses
- Employee Assistance Program
- Mindfulness Meditation: live and on-demand classes
- APS does not offer relocation assistance/costs
The American Physical Society is an affirmative action and equal
opportunity employer. It is the policy of American Physical Society
not to discriminate or allow the harassment of employees or
applicants on the basis of race, religious creed, immigration
status, alienage or citizenship, religion, color, ethnicity, sex,
national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status,
protected veteran status, protected military status, physical or
mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic
information, predisposing genetic characteristics, ancestry,
domestic violence victim status or any other characteristic
protected by law with regard to any employment practices, including
recruitment, advertising, job application procedures, hiring,
upgrading, training, promotion, transfer, compensation, job
assignments, benefits and/or other terms, conditions, or privileges
of employment, provided the individual is qualified, with or
without reasonable accommodations, to perform the essential
functions of the job. This policy applies to all jobs at APS. The
American Physical Society is committed to providing access, equal
opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with
disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities.
To request a reasonable accommodation, please contact APS Human
Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. The "Know Your Rights: Workplace
Discrimination is Illegal'' poster, prepared by the U.S. Equal
Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), provides an overview of
several laws that protect you from discrimination on the job, and
several rights are afforded to you by these laws. The "Pay
Transparency Non Discrimination Provision," prepared by the U.S.
Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP), provides an
overview of several protections implemented to protect individuals
working under federal contracts from discrimination when inquiring
about or discussing compensation; these protections apply to all
employees and applicants. The APS has a "remote first" concept that
promotes equal treatment and equal access, independent of physical
work location, with a majority of staff working primarily from
remote work locations.
Please see job descriptionPI230294312
Keywords: American Physical Society, West Haven , Director of Marketing, Experience and Engagement, Advertising , Stony Brook, Connecticut
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!