Outpatient Phlebotomist Covid - West Haven Blood Draw Station
Company: Yale-New Haven Health
Location: West Haven
Posted on: May 3, 2021
To be part of our organization, every employee should understand
and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our
Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect,
accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as
individuals and professionals, every day.
Under the general supervision of the Outreach Phlebotomy Manager
and the Coordinator of the Outpatient Phlebotomy services within
Laboratory Medicine, performs phlebotomy for patients seen at draw
station locations. Also performs various office duties as necessary
to support the draw station operations. Consistently interacts with
patients and clients in a positive manner.
- Responsible for collecting laboratory samples and performing
electrocardiograms on patients in a safe and efficient manner,
following department standards to support quality patient
- Daily stocks supplies in the blood drawing room to ensure that
service to patients takes place efficiently without compromise to
- Reviews requisitions for completeness of information to include
diagnosis information, physician signature and any special specimen
instructions. If incomplete, follows through with a contact to
physician office(s) for correct information prior to the blood
- Responsible for labeling all specimens legibly and accurately
without error at time of draw, with all pertinent information as
required by hospital and departmental standards to ensure accurate
- Follows universal precaution standards for each blood draw 100%
of the time.
- Greets patient/client in a friendly manner.
- Communicates in a professional and concise manner, procedure(s)
to be administered to patient for the purpose of quality patient
care with no more than two valid complaints per year through
patient evaluation questionnaires or other type of complaint
- Consistently packages specimens and requisitions immediately
after blood draw for timely transport to the main laboratory.
Follows all lab requirements for specimen packaging with less than
10 errors per year.
- Completes requirements of each phlebotomy request on adult,
adolescent and pediatric patients promptly and returns to
phlebotomy front desk for next patient/client assignment to ensure
patient wait time is not compromised and to maximize efficiency of
the drawstation team.
- Performs office duties as required for the efficiency of the
blood draw station.
- Daily scans the Advanced Beneficiary notices for all Medicare
patient draws according to department guidelines.
- Maintains record of supply inventories. Submits orders for
supplies to coordinator on a weekly basis.
- Maintains log of Adverse Reactions to phlebotomy for review by
- Works applicable follow-up work queues to gather missing
- When required to interact with lab staff on test criteria,
conducts oneself in a professional manner at all times.
- Adheres to regulatory standards as required for an outpatient
- . Consistently captures the ABN information on all Medicare
- Maintains annual updates to technical competency on blood
drawing technique as observed by coordinator.
- Attends continuing education lectures and staff meetings
relating to compliance as required.
- Participates in daily upkeep of blood draw area.
- Maintains cleanliness and neatness of blood draw room between
each patient/client draw.
- Through a team approach maintains neatness of patient waiting
area on a daily basis.
- With co-workers works to maintain cleanliness of staff lounge
- Assists in teaching students and new employees.
- Assists in training new personnel using departmental training
manual as reviewed by supervisory personnel.
- Communicates training procedures in a positive and effective
manner to new personnel, as noted by supervisory personnel.
- Maintains documentation to be reviewed by supervisor concerning
- Consistently enters lab test orders into the Lab Medicine LIS
accurately and efficiently
- Maintains a low ratio of errors to patients drawn.
- Enters patient lab orders efficiently to insure minimal patient
- Follows established protocols when entering patient lab
- Processes specimens obtained or received at the draw station in
order to facilitate timely specimen testing at the central
- Follows established specimen handling guidelines and
- Performs weekly maintenance and cleaning of centrifuge as
outlined in centrifuge maintenance procedure. Updates maintenance
log as required.
- Prepares specimen tracking manifest for each specimen shipment
to Central Processing.
- Responsible for assuring specimen integrity from the point of
obtaining the specimen at the draw station through courier pick
- Performs all functions relating to Laboratory Medicine patient
- Using hospital wide standards, creates MR numbers for new
patients in the YNHH HIS and creates a complete registration.
- Updates established patient records in the YNHH HIS and creates
HAR and CSN components for Laboratory Medicine DOS as needed
- Obtains and scans all required patient registration forms
including HIPAA, Financials, Photo ID, and Insurance Cards in the
- As needed, produces Laboratory Medicine ABN's, provides
financial consultation regarding these forms to patients, obtains
patient signature, and scans signed form into YNHH HIS
High school diploma. Completion of an approved Phlebotomy
certification course or equivalent experience with on the job
A minimum of one year of current phlebotomy experience OR
successful completion of a YNHHS Laboratory Medicine Phlebotomy
Phlebotomy Certification or equivalent.
Knowledge of Phlebotomy and medical terminology. Ability to
effectively convey instructions to patients and students. Basic
computer and keyboarding skills required. Ability to problem-solve
and work independently.
Performs a variety of special Phlebotomy tests on adults,
adolescents and pediatric patients in a timely and accurate manner
without compromising patient care. Must have reliable
transportation as the position requires traveling to multiple sites
on a regular basis. Must be flexible with regard to hours worked to
meet the coverage needs of the draw stations. Participates in
teaching Phlebotomy procedures to other staff members.
Excellent customer service skills, interpersonal skills and the
ability to work in a team approach
YNHHS Requisition ID
Keywords: Yale-New Haven Health, West Haven , Outpatient Phlebotomist Covid - West Haven Blood Draw Station, Other , West Haven, Connecticut
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!