R&D Scientist - Film
Company: Glanbia PLC
Location: West Haven
Posted on: June 8, 2021
Research and Development Scientist - Films
Supervisor's Title: Director of Research and Development
Department: Edible Films & Glitter Research and Development
Exempt Status: Salaried
At Glanbia Nutritionals Inc., our portfolio centers on dairy and
non-dairy nutritional ingredients. We co-innovate and deliver
ingredient solutions and precision premixes for use in the
mainstream food and beverage, infant and clinical, and functional
nutrition markets. We are the number one provider of whey-based
nutritional ingredients globally and the number one producer of
American-style cheddar cheese. Our protein systems have transformed
the bar and beverage categories - bringing increased levels of
protein, cleaner labels and greater product functionality to
market. We have a direct presence in 21 countries, with
manufacturing facilities in the US, Germany and China, and
international sales and technical offices around the world.
Work with key customers and equipment suppliers in the field to
understand needs for developing solutions that advance edible
glitter into a wider range of food products including baked good,
bars, cereal, ice cream etc. Support the transition of edible
glitter products into actual production settings working with
customers and equipment supplier to develop solutions as needed.
Work with R&D formulation technicians to provide input for
developing new products that can work in wider ranges of products.
Provide technical and lab support in the development of new edible
glitter and films products.
- Coordinate and execute commercialization trials in production
- Ability to work with equipment suppliers in researching and
developing engineering solutions for application systems that can
deliver edible glitter into a wider array of full-scale food
- Ability to work with universities and the food processing
industry to research develop new products and processes related to
edible films and glitter production and applications.
- Develop and support research projects for continuous product
improvements in conjunction with formulation technicians.
- Develop and apply new theories to Glanbia products/processes,
applications to create advanced, innovative new products and
processes that drive competitive advantage and market leadership
- Prepare reports concerning the results of laboratory tests or
product development trials including next steps and impact on key
- Collect, read, compile, utilize and synthesize ideas and
methods from existing literature, experts, files and
- Ability to work with PSM and Sales to provide technical
assistance for product development and support marketing platforms
- Works with design groups to modify plans as appropriate if
- Prepares monthly reports, detailing progress for management
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Master's degree in food science, food engineering or related
field, or a Bachelor of Science with 3-5 years' experience or
equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to develop relationships with key vendors and
co-manufactures who provide functional ingredients and processing
equipment used within the food processing industry.
- Statistical experimental design. Ability to design and
efficiently execute multiple projects in research and production
- Demonstrated experience with food equipment processing and in
food production plants.
- Developed presentation and scientific writing skills.
- Ability to interact with Universities to keep abreast of
advancing technologies related to food production and food
Typical Physical Activity
- Regularly involves talking or listening, sitting, and the use
of hands and fingers.
- Frequently involves reaching with hands and arms, standing and
- Occasionally involves crouching, stooping, kneeling and/or
climbing or balancing.
- Must be able to lift and carry items weighing up to 50
- Manual dexterity sufficient to reach/handle items, works with
the fingers, and perceive attributes of objects and materials.
- Involves moderate physical activity performing non-strenuous
daily activities of a primarily administrative nature.
- Should be able to identify and distinguish colors, see clearly
at 20 inches or closer and 20 feet or more, observe an area that
can be seen up and down or to the left and right while eyes are
fixed on a given point, judge distances and spatial relationships,
and adjust the eye to bring an object into sharp focus.
Typical Environmental Conditions
- May be exposed to moderate noise levels (i.e. office equipment,
- May be exposed to loud noise levels (i.e. manufacturing
- May be exposed to humidity, intense heat, and fumes and toxic
- May be exposed to fumes and toxic chemicals, and disagreeable
- Minimal overnight travel (up to 25%) by land and/or air.
Must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or
without reasonable accommodation efficiently and accurately without
causing significant safety threat to self or others. The above
statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of
work being performed by employees assigned to this classification.
They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all
responsibilities, duties and/or skills required of all personnel so
Nearest Major Market: New Haven
Nearest Secondary Market: Hartford
Keywords: Glanbia PLC, West Haven , R&D Scientist - Film, Other , West Haven, Connecticut
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!