Technical Services Manager
Company: Glanbia PLC
Location: West Haven
Posted on: June 9, 2021
Technical Services Manager - Premix (West Haven, CT)
Supervisor's Title: Director of Technical Services -
Department: Technical Services
Location: Position will be based in West Haven and may also
support the Taylorville, IL facility up to 25%. Position may
require some travel (up to 25% at times)
The Technical Services Manager - Premix is responsible for
facilitating the development and execution of Early Management
activity for the integration of new products and processes into the
manufacturing plants for Glanbia's West Haven site. Acts as the
corporate liaison with this manufacturing location. Evaluates and
commissions new technologies. Reviews plans, criteria and
procedures to determine and ensure full integration of new products
and processes into Glanbia Nutritionals' Pre-Mix & Fluid Bed Dryer
businesses. Reviews and improves existing products and processes.
Responsible for all production implementation and process
improvement of current and new products based on customers'
specifications. Supports short term and long term innovation
activities for premix and fluid bed dryer businesses. Leads process
guidance for new ingredient and technology evaluation, and follows
through with technically sound resolution. This position will take
the lead in both the management and prioritization of all
Provides leadership in technical support through quality
assurance, innovation and technological improvements to Glanbia
Nutritionals products and customer base. Primary emphasis will be
directed toward process improvements and creating superior
products. Provide excellent technical services to the marketplace
by professionally responding to customer inquiries, ensuring that
customer specifications are met, and evaluating and developing
process feasibility of new products within specifications. Direct
and develop projects that will continue to provide Glanbia
Nutritionals with the technology needed to produce high value
Nutritional Products. Enhance profitability through technology,
innovative product development, process improvement, and customer
support. Drive Operational Readiness by ensuring seamless
integrations of product development into the operations. Position
will be highly integrated into commercializing new product
development and further improvement of existing products.
- Be perceived by all parties as a driver of innovation, a
problem solver and an internal consultant.
- Drive implementation of, and adherence to, GN's stage and gate
process for all Technical Services led projects
- Responsible for implementation and validation of premix and
fluid bed dryer process activities, including evaluation of new
ingredients and new production technology by providing an ongoing
flow of new technology into production to promote competitive
advantages for the business.
- Manage both short term and long term implementation and
improvement projects, prioritizing based on quality, time, cost and
other critical variables
- Reformulation and technology applications for premix and fluid
bed dryer products
- Provide creative ideas for expanding our value and profits to
our customers and differentiating our company from the
- Provide production technical guidance to the technical staff
and contribute to the development of business objectives for the
department of innovation
- Be a technical liaison with the R&D (Research and
Development) and Quality departments with respect to solving
product problems and challenges by analyzing problems, suggesting
solutions, and following through on successful completion and
- Display a strong sense of leadership to accomplish
project/business objectives and be able to manage projects
independently or in a team environment.
- Quality sampling
- Packaging protocols
- Keeps plant and Product Strategic Management (PSM) advised on
industry trends and opportunities
- Assists new project scoping, feasibility, commissioning and
- Process/product scoping, feasibility, commissioning and
- Assist with quality testing and support as required to meet
customer and sales demands
- Facilitate and execute in-plant testing of new products
ensuring full validation and operational readiness.
- Perform as a liaison between plants and qualifying new
components, materials, ingredients or processes.
- Work closely with plant operations and engineering to
commercialize and bring to scale new products
- Provide leadership to others through example and sharing of
- Responsible for the planning, execution and control of a set of
strategies which will allow for continuously identifying new
opportunities, collaboration with R&D on projects, support key
Global Nutritionals customers and develop our Intellectual Property
on new processes and products.
- Develop operational action programs to achieve consistent
Operational Excellence standards across manufacturing facilities.
Build ever-improving Technical Services by leading and growing
support through the Glanbia site(s).
- Key executioner leader to ensure full technical transfer of new
products, new processes, and new equipment into operations.
- Lead the development of operating policies and procedures with
plant manager; review and update existing documentation where
- Ensure an effective process is in place to support the
examination of existing products, competitor products and
characterizing components in newly developed products. In tandem,
lead the development of existing and new plant processes to ensure
effective manufacturing of products for the US and International
- Work with QA and plant management to ensure common objectives
are agreed on and achieved (e.g. master cleaning protocols,
microbiological quality and sanitation procedures).
- Work with Supply Chain to ensure that co-manufacturing outcomes
meet GN expectations.
- Set expectations to promote and grow a culture of safety as a
- Either directly or indirectly ensure all necessary operator and
management training is understood and achieved.
- Assist with the development of SOPs and educating operators on
- Provide Nutritional product oversight for quality, sensory, and
- Work with Glanbia Nutritionals Quality team to provide
effective quality assurance functions & resolutions and minimize
- Lead the communication effort within Technical Services.
- Grow and develop people's skills and capabilities to build a
strong global footprint.
- Work with R&D, PSM, Quality, and Technical Services to
manage, connect and develop a program and a process of sharing
- Provide process and project support to new capital
- Integrate key financial factors into all decision making.
- Attend seminars and shows for vendor meetings and information
- Provide customer support as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Requires a minimum of a Bachelor Degree in Chemical
Engineering, Food Science/Technology or related field; and five
years practical experience and/or training in R&D/Product
Development in the premix/blending or fluidized bed industry; or
equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business
periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and
draw valid conclusions.
- Proficient personal computer skills including electronic mail,
record keeping, routine database activity, word processing,
spreadsheet, graphics, etc.
- Ability to prioritize tasks, handle multiple projects
simultaneously and delegate assignments to others.
- Comply with all safety policies, practices and procedures.
Report all unsafe activities to supervisor and/or Human
- Ability to provide leadership to others through example and
sharing of knowledge/skill.
- Ability to participate in proactive team efforts to achieve
departmental and company goals.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and
draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical
instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several
abstract and concrete variables.
- Must be results focused and oriented toward accomplishment of
team and organizational goals.
- Fluent in written and spoken English a requirement
- Problem solving and decision making skills are necessary. Must
be able to work independently and as part of a team. Must have good
communication skills, orally and in writing. Understanding of
process improvement, quality improvement concepts needed
- Ability to work with minimal supervision while remaining
productive at all times.
- Ability to effectively interact with all levels of personnel
with the utmost professionalism.
- Understanding of regulatory compliance with cGMP, GRAS, and
TYPICAL ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
The physical demands described represent those that must be met
by an employee and the work environment characteristics are those
an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of
this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
- Regularly involves talking or listening, sitting, and the use
of hands and fingers.
- Frequently involves reaching with hands and arms, standing and
- Occasionally involves crouching, stooping, and/or
- Must be able to lift and carry items weighing up to 50
- Manual dexterity sufficient to reach/handle items, and work
with the fingers.
- Involves light physical activity performing non-strenuous daily
activities of an administrative nature.
- Should be able to identify and distinguish colors, see clearly
at 20 inches or closer and 20 feet or more, judge distances and
spatial relationships, and adjust the eye to bring an object into
Typical Environmental Conditions
- May be exposed to moderate noise levels (i.e. office equipment
and light traffic).
- May be exposed to fumes and toxic chemicals.
- May work in areas with mechanical moving parts.
- Minimal overnight travel (up to 25%) by land and/or air.
Must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or
without reasonable accommodation efficiently and accurately without
causing significant safety threat to self or others. The above
statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of
work being performed by employees assigned to this classification.
They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all
responsibilities, duties and/or skills required of all personnel so
At Glanbia, we celebrate diversity, because we know that our
individual strengths make us stronger together. We welcome and
encourage interest from a wide variety of candidates, and we will
give your application consideration, without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity,
national origin, age, marital status, or disability status.
At Glanbia our culture will celebrate individuality, knowing
that together we are more.
Nearest Major Market: New Haven
Nearest Secondary Market: Hartford
Keywords: Glanbia PLC, West Haven , Technical Services Manager, Other , West Haven, Connecticut
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!